Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sweet Potato Bread & Pandan Coconut Bread



I have always shunned away from baking bread coz I have had a few failures previously... And unlike baking cakes, I find it more tedious to bake bread... and worse still, failing after all the sweat and tears (nah,not really tears lah)... just alot of time wasted...

I have always wondered why the products baked during baking lessons always turn out yummy... and when I do it at home... following exactly the same recipe... it always turn out to be yucky... Not sure when I started to bake the first batch of bread after a long time since the last failure... but it turned out nice... And the more successes and encouragements, the more motivated I got... I started buying a book on bread... and followed the recipe inside... then it became 2 books... and now, I have 3 books sitting on my table...

'nuff said, these were the bread I baked in the past few days... tried sweet potato bread... the recipe was actually for pumpkin bread... Since I did not have pumpkin at home, I decided to use one of the sweet potatoes meant for my baby's porridge... haha... I should say this bread was considered a success on the day it was baked... It was nice, soft and fluffy... but not sweet enough... but by the next day, it was slightly dry... my 'tasters' finished it though...

Today, I decided to try pandan coconut bun... I had a 1kg pack of dessicated coconut sitting in my pantry for months... It was intended to be used for a 'snowman' cake that was never baked.. hahaha... and I had better use it before this poor ingredient expires and get thrown away... well, you can see from the picture... there were successes and failures... I had a total of 3 trays of dough waiting to be baked... 1st one was baked nicely... light brown... and fragrant... 2nd try... sighz... my baby was crying and I was a little distracted... I did not even realised that i had turned the temperature to 230deg... which was waaaaay toooooo high... just 5 mins into baking... the surface has already turn black... Eeeew... took it out and baked the 3rd tray, making sure I did not make the same mistake again... Well... this batch of baking made my heart do a "roller-coaster"... Just have to see the reviews from my 'tasters' tomorrow... *fingers crossed*...

No comments: