Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hokkaido Milk Loaf





Although I had to bake my son's birthday cake and also decorate the house for tomorrow's party, my hands were itching to bake some bread... I browsed through Happy Home Baker's blog and saw some beautiful loaf... Decided to try Hokkaido Milk Loaf... Although I do not have whipping cream at home, I decided to substitute it with milk... I know the bread will not be as great as the original since whipping cream has a thicker consistency and since the recipe asked for it, there must be a reason... nevertheless, I went ahead to make the dough... I wanted to try my Pullman Tin that I just bought today... and since I wasn't sure if the bread would turn out well, I decided to try only half the recipe and use the small tin. I bought 2 sized tins by the way :-D I halved all the dry ingredients... and was happily pouring more than half of the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl, then it dawned on me that I had not halved the wet ingredients! I could be a "thunder" striking my head (yea abit dramatic but that was how I felt.. haha)... I had no choice but to add in the other half of the dry ingredients... and then, another boo-boo happened... I had wanted to try something "different"... I wanted the bread to looked abit coloured (you know, just like the colourful bread that ice cream vendors use to wrap mini scoops of ice cream?)... and my stupid hand poured too much purple colouring into the wet ingredients and the dough became purple-ish... duhz! I wanted to kncok my head on the kitchen top at this moment... haha... but end up, persevering to the end... Hoping that the dough will proof properly.. 2 hours later, I was ready to put the bread into the oven... Though I had used the bigger tin, the dough was too big... while in the oven, it "overflowed" out of the left side of my tin and slightly dented the cover... haiz... my poor tin... "injured" on its first use... my fault my fault...

to cut the story short, the bread was soft and fluffy in the middle... but abit dense at the sides thus making it a little tough by the time it cooled... Anyway, I will try this recipe again... making sure I use all the ingredients mentioned in the recipe...

No comments: