Sunday, June 6, 2010

Pan de sal - Filipino bread


I was given this recipe by my Filipina cousin-in-law who is currently residing in Perth... She usually buys a big bag of pandesal from a lady who bakes them to sell... and keeps them in the freezer... Anytime they wana eat it, it is taken out, defrost and warmed in the microwave... When my parents went over, they too fell in love with this little plain bun and even got the recipe for me... I have to admit that I have not seen, let alone tried this bun... So I followed the exact recipe... and I will just have to depend on my filipina helper to try it and let me know if this is what she has been eating back home :-D

When I first tried it, my first thoughts were "Nothing fantastic leh"... it's just a plain little bun... just that it is coated with bread crumbs and the bread itself is sweet only... I realised Filipinos like sweet stuff... And surprisingly, my helper said "Yeah, it's really nothing fantastic, but everyone in Philippines eat it like it's part and parcel of their lives"... People there usually eat it with butter... or plain... Lyn shared it with my little one... and it was really fun to watch them share, or rather "fight" over it... And I have to say, this bread is really addictive... Because I made it small, you just kind of continue eating it without realising that this might be your 3rd or fourth bun... I distributed some to my helper's Filipina friends downstairs... One of them brought it home and her employer (who happens to be a Filipino) took 4 at one go... Well, guess I have succeeded in baking this bread... YEAH!

No comments: